Painting the exterior of your house is an important aspect of its maintenance and upkeep. It also has a large impact on the value and curb appeal.
The following explains the preparations we take to protect and prepare your home and property for exterior painting.
We take care to protect your driveway, sidewalks and decking with drop sheets and plastic. We will have had a prior discussion with you about plants and shrubs. We may be able to gently pull them away from the house and cover them with protective cloths. In some cases we will request that you trim them back.
Preparation and Cleaning
- Cleaning of deposits, dirt, mold or mildew on smaller areas. We do not power wash (see house cleaning below).
- Mask or remove hardware, downspouts and fixtures and put them back up when we are finished
- Scraping and/or sanding of any loose product or paint down to a sound surface
- Caulking where necessary of joints, door and window frames and trims
- Prime any bare surfaces
- Seal wood knots and “saps” to prevent them bleeding through the finish coat
Power washing is not something we recommended for house exteriors. A lot of damage can be caused, we’ve seen it! In addition to potential damage to your exterior any wood frame houses with wood siding, board and batten, clapboards or shingles has the possibility of water from a pressure washer getting up under the siding and into the wall cavities. Houses have many gaps and high pressure water will find a way in. Once this happens it can be very difficult for the water to evaporate. Then the painters come along and further seal it in with caulking and paint.
If you have James Hardie siding you can read right on their website under how to clean siding where it states not to use a pressure washer, but only the low pressure of a garden hose and soft to medium (nonmetal) bristle brush as the best way to remove dirt and debris.
Many professional house cleaners use as soft washing. They have a system with a soft spray wand and scrub brushes on extension poles. If your entire house is to the point where it needs washing there are professional house cleaning companies we can recommend. They do not use powerwashers and guarantee no water will penetrate your building envelope.
We provide the same attention to detail when doing an exterior project as we do with an interior one. Two coats of high quality exterior paint product suitable for the surfaces will be applied.
After we have carefully inspected our work, the customer will be asked that everything is to their satisfaction.
At the end of each work day your home and yard will be left tidy and organized. Garbage and painting equipment will be taken away. Empty paint cans will be removed. We take all of our left over cans and paint products to a recycling center. Any left over paint will be given to the customer if they wish for future use and for making reference to the paint colour.
Exterior Painting Schedule
Unlike interior painting we can’t give fixed start or finishing dates for our exterior painting. We are completley at the mercy of mother nature. We only work on one job at a time. If we get delayed due to bad weather your home will remain our priority. We will return to finish painting as soon as the weather allows.
What The Customer Can Do Prior To Our Arrival
If the customer can do the following it will allow us to do our work more efficiently:
- If possible cut back or trim shrubs and bushes touching the house
- Take down any plant materials or any trellis on the house unless you have made prior arrangements with us to do our best to paint around them
- Remove any decorative items from the house and on the ground around your house if they will be in the way
- Please make sure automatic sprinklers will not go off during the painting, and ask when it will be okay to put them back on if they will be getting painted surfaces wet
- Take into consideration any alarm systems you have in place, make sure we will not be setting them off while we work
Call us prior to or during your painting if you have any questions or concerns. We will be happy to discuss them with you.
Examples of our exterior painting can be seen in the portfolios of work: